5 April 2013

How To Make Natural Homemade Toothpaste

I have never liked normal toothpaste, My teeth never felt that clean after brushing and I hated the way some of them tasted. As you've seen on earlier posts I've slowly started to get into going more natural, especially when it comes to what I'm putting on my body.

I really went cold turkey when changing my normal toothpaste to a homemade one....I don't know if it was the best approach and don't recommend it because it will be a shock to most.

This was my first recipe: 
2 teaspoons virgin coconut oil 
2 teaspoons xylitol (stevia can also be used)
1 teaspoons baking soda (sodium bicarbonate not baking powder)
6-10 drops spearmint essential oil

I put all the ingredients in a bowl and started smooshing it together - it seemed easy enough and i actually remembered to take pictures :)


This actually worked great, It was a bit saline like for me and i missed the foam, so i went back to the drawing board and added in some calcium carbonate (to help re-mineralize teeth) and some more coconut oil to bind it together, but being as the temperature here was in the -3/4 area it solidified :(

It did work great though, but it was a pain to scrape it out of the packaging...if you live in a hotter country give that a go but i had to move on to a toothpaste i got in the local health food shop which i will blog about in the next few days because i completely LOVE IT!

I won't rule out my homemade stuff completely though and will make another batch when it's much warmer here.

 I would love to know if any of you have made your own and if it worked for you?. Leave a comment and let me know.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...