14 March 2013

Striving To Be Toxic Free - Homemade Deodorant

Starting 2011 I decided to cut out using commercial deodorants as none of them were working for me. I had  also tried prescription strength which worked for the first few times and then stopped, but what worried me more was what was in these sprays and roll ons and why did i actually need it?.

I had read a lot of good things online about making your own and letting your body get expel of all of the toxins from the many years of using what we thought was "normal", So i made up my first batch following this recipe which worked out great for the first week then i ended up with bad dermatitis which i found out was a  bad reaction to the baking soda (i didn't use any essential oils) I then tried a second batch using less baking soda and adding some essential oils and got the same problem but i found out the oils i was using caused skin sensitivity and my baking soda settled at the bottom of the jar....grrrrr

So i gave up on home-made and moved on to Salt of the Earth Deodorant Spray which worked good if you weren't doing any strenuous exercise or anything at all really, but it was expensive for something that didn't do what i wanted all the time and the spray was very wet and took a while to dry.

I then went back to commercial deodorants and actually things seemed to have regulated back to normal, I have been using Dove Dead Sea Minerals which has been great! before when i used commercial i used to sweat constantly nothing kept me dry and it would always ruin my day i almost considered BOTOX things were that bad!.

This last week i was looking for new deodorant recipes to try and today made a deodorant bar (by accident- too much butters) I will see how i get on with it and i hope it's not too firm (it is between 2 to -4 degrees here)

My recipe was loosely based on this i decided to half it just to try a sample first as we seen what happened before and i didn't want to waste good products. It was a lovely consistency, but has hardened into a bar maybe due to how cold it is here in Scotland?....Here's what I used:

1.5 Tablespoons Shea Butter
1.5 Tablespoons Arrowroot (added 1 extra teaspoon more to thicken)
1 Tablespoon Baking Soda
1 Tablespoon Cocoa Butter
15 drops Botanics 100% Organic Face Oil (used in place of Vit E as it has jojoba, argan & rosehip oil along with some essential oils)
5 drops Lavender
5 drops Clary Sage

I haven't tested yet but will be straight on it tomorrow and i will update the recipe if i feel it needs tweaking at all. I'm excited to try it because it has no coconut oil in it like my last tries and i want to see how different it will be. I may have overdone it with the botanics oil thought but we shall see :)

I also ended up making my own carpet deodorizer out of boredom:

1/2 Cup Baking Soda
20 Drops Lavender Oil

Sprinkled on and left for 30 minutes....Worked like a charm! Who knew it was so easy! So no more having to buy nasty shake n vac i can now make it all myself for much cheaper :)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...